Saturday 8 May 2010

Gadzooks, My Lovely Book!



Feb 22nd 1761
Had just finished a grand steak and ale pie in the company of Mr. Tangle, when, once again, the poor wretch's eyes began to bleed profusely, making an unsightly mess on my treasured copy of Bulstrode Proudlove's 'Knobs & Knockers of Norfolke'. I am very concerned that the resulting stain will  be permanent, and have tasked Maide with restoring the manuscript to its former condition. This really is most perplexing!
© Tangle & Hump, Peddlers of the Past

1 comment:

  1. Gads, this stuff takes me back a few campaigns - me Uncle Harrington had a blood stained copy of "The Complete Works", ruddy great gash gone out of the top of it. Swore it saved his life in the Indian Mutiny. Anyway, new valet one day took it upon himself to clean the thing, and he did, too, heaven knows how, something to do with the housemaids' bathwater, I heard later. Took him several days, apparently, and probably even more maids!
    Well, the Uncle, he was furious - had the chap packed off to the Scottish pile as a trainee gillie. To the last, never could mention the Bard around him again. Shot later, I heard. The gillie, I mean.

    Field Marshall "Bumper" Cockton-Smythe

    ReplyDelete