Wednesday 16 June 2010

Scrotal Bells and Screams in Croyland Abbey








February 24th 1761, Norwiche

Still recovering from the coach journey to Croyland Abbey with Dan Tangle and Jimothy Ditheridge. I shudder to think on it, but I must record here a most perplexing incident which took place as we stepped into the main abbey church.

Hearing my medieval crotal bell ringing in my pocket, Ditheridge enquired,
"Cornelius, is that your crotal bell I can hear ringing?"
"Scrotal bell!" exclaimed Dan immediately.
"No Dan, crotal", replied I.
"SCROTAL you say!" cries he, in his harsh loud tones.
I gestured to him to place his ear-trumpet to his ear, and as he did so I repeated myself...
"It's my crotal bell Dan."
"Scrotal bell Cornelius! Well I'll be damned, didn't take you for one of those tinkle-tailed dandiprats..."

It was then that I noticed a gathered of well-dressed ladies glowering accusingly from the chancel end in our direction, clearly shocked by our exchange. Despite my years I felt myself colouring up and smiled meekly as I removed Mr. Tangle's hat from atop his head.

For as long as I may be granted the gift of life I will never forget the sound of their screams as I reached into my pocket to reveal my bell to them.

© Tangle & Hump, Peddlers of the Past

2 comments:

  1. The diaries of Cornelius Hump reveal a world that the likes of earlier diarists like Pepys could scarce have imagined even in his most sleezy encounters with his maids. Indeed, it would have had the likes of the Bronte sisters casting themselves off the nearest Yorkshire cliff to escape the rampant debauchery so rife in Eighteenth century Norwich.


    Well done Ragged ramblers for your painstaking research into this fascinating document and its insight into provincial urban life in the past

    ReplyDelete
  2. A hearty agreement with my fellow scholar above - this particular passage is to be met with much delight as it confirms long-held speculations on wether Hump's 1761 excursions took in Crowland Abbey.
    At last the veil is lifted, even if I, like many another no doubt, am left somewhat perplexed as to the cause of the ladies' and Hump's discomfort: a simple misheard word seems an unlikely cause, the key must lie in whatever meaning was deduced from "scrotal", which as far as my research takes me is not a word at all. Once again we are too far removed in time to know the social mores which Hump seems to have unwittingly trampled!
    But this is slight matter - Hump's visit to Crowland may furnish the explanation, and I confess confirm my own theories, for the so far unexplained existence of the tale "The Riddle of Trinity Bridge". This slightly odd-out piece of East of England folklore seems unknown before the late 18th century, and has caused many a scholarly frown!

    Although Hump describes his party as a threesome, we may allow licence for oral traditions, and the two Antiquarians of advanced wisdom who appear may well be the folk memory of that visit - screaming ladies certainly indicates it was an occasion not without local impact. Poignantly, the presence of Ditheridge - a somewhat shadowy figure amongst Hump's acquaintances - may well clinch the matter: of the few facts known, his slightness of figure is attested. Alongside the substantial Hump, the similarity to the two folkloric characters is temptingly suggestive...

    Well done Ramblers, indeed, for unearthing this important morsel!
    Gregorius

    ReplyDelete